Installation Directions for Swirls
Swirls is a computer squares program for square dancing. It is "charity-ware"; if it proves useful to you please
consider donating to the charity mentioned in the Swirls manual.
Version 2 now released
Swirls Installation Directions for Windows
At the current time it appears that several individuals have had problems with
the above procedure, the problem being that setupswirls.exe is getting flagged
as having a virus. FYI I believe this to be incorrect; the computer on which
setupswirls.exe was built has been checked numerous times during development
by Norton AntiVirus (and passed). I believe instead its a case of a new
product being unfamiliar to the checking s/w.
As a work-around I'm providing the older method:
- Download setupswirls.exe using your browser
- Run the file: setupswirls
- To execute Swirls, click on the Swirls launcher on your desktop
SwirlsArchive.exe is built by 7zip and,
when run, will expand into the directory containing it with Swirls' files.
Swirls has been built using GTK v3 (gui toolkit) and MSYS2 (MSYS2).
- Download SwirlsArchive.exe
- Use File Explorer to create a directory called c:\\Swirls
- Use File Explorer to move SwirlsArchive.exe to c:\\Swirls
- Use FileExplorer to run SwirlsArchive.exe
- Use FileExplorer to run mklauncher.bat to generate a shortcut on your desktop
Swirls Installation Directions for Linux
- yum -y install gcc.x86_64 gtk3.x86_64 (you may need to change the suffix depending on your system)
- Make a directory; typically $HOME/Swirls
- Change to that directory ($HOME/Swirls)
- Download Swirls (linux) into that directory
- bunzip2 Swirls-linux.tar.bz2
- To execute Swirls, type ./swirls